March 20, 2014

Ask and It Shall Be Given You

One of the oft-repeated promises in scripture is “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (Matthew 7:7, KJV, 3 Nephi 27:28-29). Speaking of our day, the Lord promised, “and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit" (Joel 2:29). Every time I read those words, I feel the Lord inviting me to seek the fulfillment of those blessings in my life. Over the years I have had many questions about my roles of woman, wife, mother and daughter of God, so I have accepted the Lord’s offer to teach me by the Spirit as I ask, seek and knock. I pray repeatedly that I will discern my place in His plan – my worth, roles and responsibilities – more as He views them and less as the world views them.  
         

The woman at the well (John 4:5-30, 39-42) is an inspiring example of Jesus responding to a woman’s questions, encouraging her growing faith, and revealing Himself to her. Jesus’ disciples and the woman herself were surprised that He would speak with her. Sometimes even faithful women today do not expect the Lord to actually communicate with them, but Jesus demonstrated that He is ready and willing to teach us. The woman at the well expressed her witness to her neighbors and brought many of them to Jesus so they could gain their own testimonies. We can follow her example of asking the Lord our questions and sharing our witness of His answers to help others come to Him.
         

The scriptures teach how we can approach the Lord with confidence that we will receive the answers we seek. John wrote, “if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God" (1 John 3:21). When we are full of charity (Christlike love) and virtue (moral cleanliness), the Lord promises “then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine . . . shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven” (D&C 121:45). Selfish attitudes or degrading thoughts create a barrier between us and the Lord and block the answers He would like to give to us. As I have sought understanding from God, I have learned that answers come as I quickly turn away from thoughts or actions that are offensive to Him and instead find ways to serve others – especially my family – with love.
         

One answer came to me through the Spirit when I was assigned to teach a Primary class consisting entirely of 10- and 11-year old girls. I knew they wouldn’t long remember many details from individual lessons, but I felt they might remember a consistent theme if I made it part of all the lessons. I prayed to know what this overarching message should be. As I pondered about different ideas over many days, I began to see a mental picture. I saw myself standing next to my Savior with His arm around me. Though I could not see Jesus’ face clearly, as I looked up at Him I knew He had a big smile on His face. I could feel that He was delighted in the good things that I am and that I do. I knew that He also felt this way toward the girls in my class, and this was the message I most needed to teach them.
         

Many of the answers we seek in life cannot be had from Facebook posts or discussion groups or even from statements of church doctrine by themselves. We each need personal revelation from the Lord to help us understand the mission He has for us. We need Him to teach us through the Spirit how to view and respond to our individual challenges. We need His power to transfer the doctrine of His gospel from stone, ink or screen onto the “fleshy tables of the heart" (2 Corinthians 3:3). As we develop our ability to learn through the Spirit, we are guided by the assurance that all truth harmonizes together because it all comes from God. I find that General Conference acts as a check for the inspiration I receive. As I hear ideas in conference that parallel and echo the inspiration I am receiving, then I know I am on track.    
         

As beloved daughters of God, we can approach Him with the confidence born of charity and virtue to ask Him our pressing questions. Though answers generally come slowly, “line upon line, precept upon precept; here a little, and there a little" (D&C 128:21, Isaiah 28:10), we wait with the assurance that the Lord “giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not" (James 1:5). Ask, seek, knock.

All references to the Bible are from the King James Version. References may be read in full by going to lds.org and typing the reference into the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment